08 March 2009

Live from Yonsei University Hospital and sans my appendix... may it rest in peace T_T or the "How I Could Have Died in South Korea Story"

Alright so I'm bored as shit and coming at you with a missing organ which I did give my consensus in losing but funky fresh from Wonju, South Korea at Yonsei University Hospital. I'm typing this on a special and dirty Internet PC which lets me use it for an hour by only putting in 1,000 Won which right now is like putting in 2 quarters... I almost forgot what a quarter looks like... It's dirty because it's physically filthy...

So you're probably wondering how I lost an organ in South Korea. F my life right? Well Wednesday night I came home from Hapkido... ( I joined hapkido recently, it's a martial art) and after grubbing on some pasta, I felt a stomach pain. I thought not too much of it. Some occasional bloating is not uncommon. But I had trouble sleeping that night. In the morning, I still felt shitty and asked my director to take me to the local hospital, thinking that maybe my abs were bruised from all the hapkido jokingly remarking that I want to make sure it's not appendicitis or a hernia. Well joke was on me I guess because our 3rd world hospital's doctor told me there was a pretty good chance that it was my appendix. Blake and my director came by but wanted me to get a second opinion and a much more suitable hospitable to be operated in. I had to agree, our hospital looks like it belongs in Burkina Faso.

So we head to Wonju to the presitigious Yonsei University while along the way our director makes two wrong turns, find out the Universities hospital is downtown and not on campus. Thankfully, I made it to the emergency room alive. I was stuck in a room with about 20 other sickos for about three hours after they performed another blood test, X-Ray, and CT scan. My white blood cell count was twice the normal rate so something was up and the doctor said I probably had acute apendicitis. The CT scan revealed that I had a mischievous appendix tucked away in my pelvis. It was joking around long enough. The doctor's took me soon after to the operating room. But first I had to strip, then my treasure trail and pubes were shaved by a man, his simple razor and some baby powder.

To be honest, I was a bit nervous. I never had surgery and my first experience was going to be in South Korea no less. I was hoping not to be one of the rare cases where the anesthesia goes wrong and you wake up in the middle of surgery only to be completely paralyzed from expressing all emotion and physical action while having to bare all the pain... Thankfully, this was not so. The docs strapped me up Jesus style on the operating table and before I could say kimchi, I was passed out from the gas...

Next thing I remember waking in a daze coming face to face with Blake and my director. I felt all the symptoms of a drunkeness without the fun indulgence hours before. The operation took less than 2 hours and apparently my mischievious appendix was larger than normal but the doctors found it almost immediately via laproscopic surgery. Currently I have three scars on my lower abdomen and I'm hooked up to a portable IV stand thingy.

The first couple days were spent in and out of sleep in a room with 7 other old Korean dudes. Now there are only three ages, 58, 69 and like 80 probably. I spend my daylight hours watching Korean dramas, comedies, lifetime channel and old school Korean ballads being sung on TV. Good thing English is a priority to some Koreans as my nurses and doctors could communicate with me. On the third day, I was finally allowed to drink water but only after performing flatulence and then food on the 4th day but only after performing defacation. I don't think other people and myself were ever so excited upon the arrival of my bowel movements before...

Due to my strange sleeping schedule, I was up real early from midnight to 4 am watching Sunderland / Tottenham and then watching Man Utd spank Fulham 4-0! While watching the first match, a body was taken outside followed by the grieving family/friends.

Some interesting things though, the beds here have little roll-away beds underneat so family can actually stay in the room throughout the night with their illen-ones. Also, the cost of my surgery and 4 day stay in the hospital after insurance will also cost me about 1,380,000 Won which is about 840 US dollars. Pretty sweet huh?

Anyway, my goal is to finish the book Layer Cake, which is also a movie staring Daniel Craig and get ready to go home tomorrow! Take care from So Ko!

5 comments:

HLWadell said...

I love you and I am glad you are healthy following surgery in SK. Enjoy, Layer Cake...the movie is fab.

PS Daniel Craig is hott

mary1967 said...

Hello Alex,
Just read your blog, we are so pleased that you are well. I wondered where you were as Fb has been quiet.
3 days in hospital....!!! :)Bless you..No more of that martial arts melarky...do you think your Steven Seagal????
Take Care Sunshine...love The Harrison's xx

Unknown said...

It was a miracle! Thank you Jesus!!! (just kidding). Anyway, Mom, Dad and your brothers loves you! Don't scare us like that anymore.

D.B. said...

thats totally crazy man! are you back teaching the kids yet? just so you know, I changed my blog's address
http://dbsadventure.blogspot.com/

Успехи!

Tyler said...

God you are a badass. Who fakes appendicitis just to experience surgery in a 3rd world country? My hat goes off to you sir!